2023 Academic Exchange Support Program for North Korean and Unification Studies - Fellowship Program
Background and Overview
Managed by the Institute for Far Eastern Studies of Kyungnam University(IFES) with the sponsorship of Minister of Unification(MOU), the “Academic Exchange Support Program for North Korean and Unification Studies” is designed to expand the pool of experts on peace and unification studies on the Korean Peninsula as well as North Korean studies in the international community.
As part of this academic exchange program, we are calling for “MOU-IFES North Korean Studies Fellowship” applications from young scholars whose research interests include studies on North Korea and Korean unification.
II. Fellowship Program
MOU-IFES North Korean Studies Fellowship
The MOU-IFES North Korean Studies Fellowship is designed to provide fellowship support for 6 months to applicants who are interested in Korean Peninsula issues in general, North Korea and unification, in particular.
This fellowship provides numerous programs for scholars including opportunities to work with prestigious experts on North Korean issues, attend special lectures by current and former government ministers and policy makers, and participate in academic exchange, expert workshops, and field trips, among other activities and events.
1) Program Outline
- Special Lectures and Seminars for Individual Research Project
- Cooperative Project with researchers/teams in the institute
- Participation in Academic Programs addressing North Korea and Korean unification issues
- Opportunity to attend/participate in program-related weekly seminars, field workshops, project presentations, and academic forums, among other events
2) Research Period: 6 months
- Research period; 6 months (January 2023 – June 2023)
3) Applicant Eligibility
- Foreign nationals who mainly work outside the Republic of Korea in the fields of North Korean studies and/or peace and Korean unification studies (including PhD candidates working on their thesis, and postdoctoral researchers). Or, Person with work experience including journalists, government officials, international development experts, etc. and research agenda relevant to the promotion of peace on the Korean Peninsula will also be considered.
- PhD candidate, PhD graduate, or individuals with over five years of experience in relevant fields.
- The following qualifications will be given favorable considerations:
- Korean/English language proficiency
- Previous contributions to academic journals and media
- Previous presentations to academic conferences and seminars
- Public sector work experience relevant to North Korean and Korean unification issues
4) Grant Amount
- Living expenses (KRW 2,300,000 to 3,000,000/month)
- Round-trip flight ticket (expense reimbursement)
- Medical insurance coverage
- Settling-in allowance (KRW 1,000,000)
- Lab in IFES
- Library use
1) Research Topics
North Korea, Inter-Korean Relations, Peace and Unification of the Korean Peninsula and related topics
2) Number of Recipients
3) Fellowship Period
6 months (January 2023 – June 2023)
Those who have received grant with the same research topic in the past and those who are currently receiving other types of grant from other institutions of the Republic of Korea are ineligible for this program.
- The beneficiary of this program should stay in the Republic of Korea during the fellowship period.
- Beneficiaries who wish to terminate their participation in the program earlier than scheduled without legitimate reasons will be required to return the grant received.
- All personal information provided by applicants will only be used for this program. All applicants should consent to the collection and use of his/her personal information submitted in the application to commence the process.
- Documents submitted will not be returned.
※ The program will proceed after the final selection is made and once the contract is signed.
6) Required Documents:
· Application Form (Form 1)
· Publication List (Form 4)
**in case of non-Ph.D. degree applicants,
Certificate of Master’s degree or Master’s Diploma (PDF file)
· Proof of Employment (If you have current position)
· Awards / Grants / Scholarships / Sponsorships Verification Document
Recommendation Letters (Form 8)
7) Application Period
August 5, 2022 to September 12, 2022 18:00 (Korean Standard Time GMT+9)
※ Applications submitted after the deadline will be discarded.
8) Application Procedures
Submit required documents via email to email@example.com
9) Notification of Selected Beneficiaries
October 2022 (Date of notification may change without notice)
Acceptance/Rejection notices will be announced via email.
The Institute for Far Eastern Studies of Kyungnam University: firstname.lastname@example.org / 82-3700-0701, 0708