2024 Academic Exchange Support Program for North Korean and Unification Studies - Fellowship Program
2024 Academic Exchange Support Program for North Korean and Unification Studies
- MOU-IFES North Korean Studies Fellowship -
-> Background and Overview
Managed by the Institute for Far Eastern Studies of Kyungnam University (IFES) with the sponsorship of Minister of Unification (MOU), the “Academic Exchange Support Program for North Korean and Unification Studies” is designed to expand the pool of experts on peace and unification studies on the Korean Peninsula as well as North Korean studies in the international community.
As part of this academic exchange program, we are calling for “MOU-IFES North Korean Studies Fellowship” applications from young scholars whose research interests include studies on North Korea and Korean unification.
-> MOU-IFES North Korean Studies Fellowship
The MOU-IFES North Korean Studies Fellowship is designed to provide fellowship support for 6 months to applicants who are interested in Korean Peninsula issues in general, North Korea and unification, in particular.
This fellowship provides numerous programs for scholars including opportunities to work with renowned experts on North Korean issues, attend special lectures by current and former government ministers and policymakers, and participate in academic exchanges, expert workshops, and field trips, among other activities and events.
1) Program Outline
○ Individual Research Project
○ Cooperative Project with researchers/teams at IFES
○ Participation in Academic Programs addressing North Korea and Korean unification issues
○ Opportunity to attend/participate in program-related weekly seminars, field workshops, project presentations, and academic forums, among other events
2) Research Period: 6 months
○ Research period; 6 months (January 2024 start)
3) Applicant Eligibility
○ Foreign nationals mainly working outside the Republic of Korea:
1. PhD Graduate or Candidate in the field of North Korean studies and /or peace and Korean Unification studies
Person with over 5 years relevant work experience including journalists, government officials, international development experts, etc. and research agenda relevant to the promotion of peace on the Korean Peninsula will also be considered.
2. The following qualifications will be given favorable considerations:
· Korean/English language proficiency
· Previous contributions to academic journals and media
· Previous presentations at academic conferences and seminars
· Public sector work experience relevant to North Korean and Korean unification issues
4) Grant Amount
○ Living expenses
· PhD Candidate or Person with over 5 years of equivalent field work experience: KRW 2,300,000/month
· PhD Graduate or Person with over 10 years of equivalent field work experience: KRW 3,000,000/month
○ Round-trip flight ticket (expense reimbursement)
○ Medical insurance coverage
○ Settling-in allowance (KRW 1,000,000)
○ Lab in IFES
○ Library use
1) Research Topics
North Korea, Inter-Korean Relations, Peace and Unification of the Korean Peninsula and related topics
2) Number of Recipients
3) Fellowship Period
Those who have received grant with the same research topic in the past and those who are currently receiving other types of grant from other institutions of the Republic of Korea are ineligible for this program.
○ The beneficiary of this program should stay in the Republic of Korea during the fellowship period.
○ Beneficiaries who wish to terminate their participation in the program earlier than scheduled without legitimate reasons will be required to return the grant received.
○ All personal information provided by applicants will only be used for this program. All applicants should consent to the collection and use of his/her personal information submitted in the application to commence the process.
○ Documents submitted will not be returned.
※ The program will proceed after the final selection is made and once the contract is signed.
6) Required Documents:
· Application Form (Form 1)· Personal Statement (Form 2)· Research Proposal (Form 3)
**in case of non-Ph.D. degree applicants,
Certificate of Master’s degree or Master’s Diploma (PDF file)
; Regarding required documents except IFES Forms, only scanned files (in PDF format) are valid. Image files will not be counted toward the application. (Please do not upload pictures taken with your cell phone.)
; The application form and all required documents must be submitted in English or Korean. If documents are submitted in other languages, please submit both the original file and a verbatim translation.
; Please submit the application form (ONE Word file) and other required documents (ONE PDF file) via email. You should submit 1 Word file and 1 PDF file.
; File format (Fellowship)
Ex. Fellowship applicant
- Fellowship_2024_LAST NAME, FIRST NAME_Application form
- Fellowship_2024_LAST NAME, FIRST NAME_Required Documents
7) Application Period
October 10, 2023 to December 26, 2023 17:00 (Korean Standard Time GMT+9)
※ Applications submitted after the deadline will be discarded.
8) Application Procedures
Submit required documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
※ Website: https://ifes.kyungnam.ac.kr/ifeseng/7791/subview.do
9) Notification of Selected Beneficiaries
January 2024 (Date of notification may change without notice)
Acceptance/Rejection notices will be announced via email.
The Institute for Far Eastern Studies of Kyungnam University: email@example.com / 82-3700-0708, 0828