2021 Academic Exchange Support Program for North Korean and Unification Studies - Fellowship Program
Background and Overview
The “Academic Exchange Support Program for North Korean and Unification Studies” is designed to expand the base of experts on peace and unification of the Korean Peninsula as well as North Korean studies in the international community.
As part of this academic exchange program, we are calling for scholarship/fellowship applications from rising scholars who conduct studies on issues relevant to North Korea and Korean unification.
- Fellowship Program
- MOU-IFES North Korean Studies Fellowship
The “MOU-IFES North Korean Studies Fellowship” is designed to provide fellowship support for 6 months or 1 year to scholars interested in conducting intensive research on North Korea and Korean Peninsula issues.
Managed by the Institute for Far Eastern Studies of Kyungnam University, this fellowship provides numerous programs for scholars including opportunities to work with prestigious experts on North Korean issues, attend special lectures by current and former government ministers and policy makers, and participate in academic exchange, expert workshops, and field trips, among other activities and events.
- Program Outline
- Special Lectures and Seminars for Individual Research Project
- Cooperative Project with researchers/teams in the institute
- Participation in Academic Programs related to North Korea and Korean unification
- Opportunity to attend/participate in program-related weekly seminars, field workshops, project presentations, and academic forums, among other events
- Research Period: 6 months
- Please choose your research period; 6 months
- The fellowship period approved by the IFES’s review committee may differ from applicants’ proposed schedule
- Recipient of the fellowship grant should enter the Republic of Korea at least 15 days prior to the start of the program
- In accordance with the Infectious Control and Prevention Act, all incoming foreigners, regardless of nationality, shall be subject to mandatory 14-day quarantine beginning on the date of entry
- Applicant Eligibility
- Foreign nationals who mainly work outside the Republic of Korea in the fields of North Korean studies and/or peace and Korean unification studies (including PhD candidates working on thesis, and postdoctoral researchers). Persons with work experience (including journalists, government officials, international development experts, etc.) and research agenda relevant to the promotion of peace on the Korean Peninsula will also be considered.
- A PhD candidate (for scholars) or a person with over five years of experience in relevant fields.
- The following qualifications will be given favorable consideration:
- Korean/English language proficiency
- Previous contributions to academic journals and media
- Previous presentations to academic conferences and seminars
- Public sector work experience relevant to North Korean and Korean unification issues
- Grant Amount
- Living expenses (KRW 2,300,000 to 3,000,000/month)
- Round-trip flight ticket (expense reimbursement)
- Medical insurance coverage
- Settling-in allowance (KRW 1,000,000)
- Research Topics
North Korea, Inter-Korean Relations, Peace and Unification of the Korean Peninsula and related topics
- Number of Recipients
Those who have received scholarships/grants with the same research topic in the past and those who are currently receiving other types of scholarship/grant from other institutions of the Republic of Korea are ineligible for this program.
- The beneficiary of this program should stay in the Republic of Korea during the semester/fellowship period.
- Beneficiaries who wish to terminate their participation in the program will be required to return the scholarship/grant received.
- All personal information provided by applicants will only be used for this program. All applicants should consent to the collection and use of his/her personal information submitted in the application to commence the process.
※ The program will proceed after the final selection is made and once the contract is settled.
- Required Documents:
||Application Form (Form 1)
Personal Statement (Form 2)
Research Proposal (Form 4)
(2) Recommendation Letters (Form 5)
Applicant Agreement (Form 6)
Personal Medical Assessment (Form 7)
Agreement to Collect and Use Personal Information (Form 8)
Proof of Employment (If you have current position)
Employment Verification Document
Awards / Grants / Scholarships / Sponsorships Verification Document
Soft copy of publications
Copy of passport
Graduation Certificate and Grade Transcripts from the highest level of education (Completed)
- Application Period
March 25, 2021 to April 14, 2021 18:00 (Korean Standard Time GMT+9)
※ Applications submitted after the deadline will be discarded.
※ Application and two letters of recommendation should be received within deadline.
- Application Procedures
- Notification of Selected Beneficiaries
April 2021 (Date of notification may change without notice)
Acceptance/Rejection notices will be announced via email.
The Institute for Far Eastern Studies of Kyungnam University: firstname.lastname@example.org / 82-3700-0701, 0708