Call for Proposals: Grant Funding in 2023 for Academic and Policy Research Projects on North Korea and Unification
The Institute for Far Eastern Studies (IFES) of Kyungnam University (Seoul, Korea), with the support of the Ministry of Unification, invites grant applications for academic and policy research projects on North Korea and unification as a part of the international academic exchange program on North Korea and unification for the year 2023. For those who are interested, please see the details below.
1. Funding Overview
Provide grants to support individual researcher, research team, and overseas research institute to undertake research on North Korea and unification.
2. Funding Objectives
ㅇ Expand the research base and revitalize academic exchanges by reviving
discussions overseas on Korean Peninsula issues and professional research
on North Korea and unification.
ㅇ Diversify policy research reflecting the varied views of international
research institutes, research teams, and experts.
3. Guidelines and Conditions for Academic and Policy Research Grants
To apply for funding for an academic or policy research project, please consult the following:
3.1 Research Themes (Select one of the following areas)
ㅇ Korea’s reunification from the perspective of the regional order in Northeast Asia.
ㅇ Building South Korea’s cooperation with the international community to implement the ‘audacious initiative’.
ㅇ Strengthening public diplomacy to pursue peaceful unification of Korea .
ㅇ Case studies on reunification of other divided nations.
ㅇ South Korea’s strategic responses toward North Korea’s diplomacy.
ㅇ North Korea and issues on the Korean Peninsula.
* Note: Priority will be given to the topics(1-5) listed above.
3.2 Prospective applicants: overseas researcher, research team, or research institute (note: proposals from research team or institute involving collaborative research with a scholar in Korea will also be considered)
ㅇ Research Institute · Research Team (of scholars): up to US $30,000
ㅇ Individual researcher: up to US$15,000
3.4 Funding Period
Approx. 6 months
*The duration of grant funding will vary upon proposal evaluation.
4. Eligibility Criteria
ㅇ Overseas research institute, think tank, university institution
ㅇ Overseas Research team
ㅇ Overseas Individual researcher
* Research institute/think tank/university institution: The principal investigator is required to submit the application form with the official seal of his/her affiliated institution in the signature column reserved for the host institution.
* Research team: the principal investigator is required to submit a reference from the director of his/her affiliated institution or a letter of reference that guarantees the identity of the applicants as researchers.
* Individual researcher: the principal investigator is required to submit one letter of reference from the director of his/her affiliated institution that authorizes the applicant’s affiliation or a letter of reference that guarantees the identity of the applicant as researcher.
*In terms of eligibility of research team, the principal investigator must be of a foreign nationality other that Korean, while the co-investigator could be Korean.
- A principal investigator, co-investigator, or researcher receiving grant funding (existing or forthcoming) from elsewhere during the funding period (April 1, 2023 ~ end of completion of proposed research) will be deemed ineligible for application.
- An applicant who has received or is receiving funding from another funding institution(s) for a project with the same research theme will be deemed ineligible for application.
- An applicant who has received a research grant from a Korean organization (e.g., Korea Foundation, National Research Foundation of Korea, Ministry of Unification, etc.) but failed to meet the grant requirements (i.e., failed to submit research results by the required deadline) will be considered unqualified and therefore ineligible to apply.
- An applicant who has received grant funding from the ‘2022 Academic and Policy Research Projects on North Korea and Unification’ will be deemed ineligible for application.
5. Application Guide
5.1 How to apply: [via Email] firstname.lastname@example.org
- For an application to be considered, all application documents must arrive
before the closing date/time (March 15, 2023, 18:00 KST).
- Please check the documents carefully. After submission, no changes can be
made to the documents.
5.2 Required documents (to be submitted in Korean or English)
ㅇ Application form
ㅇ Research proposal
ㅇ Budget justification
ㅇ Curriculum Vitae and Publications
ㅇ Agreement to collect and use personal information
ㅇ Letter of recommendation
ㅇ Application Checklist
ㅇ (If necessary) Supporting documentation, such as degree certificates and publication record
* All documents must be sent as PDF files.
* Supporting documents that are in a language other than English or Korean
must be accompanied by an official translation of the original document.
* In accordance with the enforcement decree of the Personal Information
Protection Act 2011, all applicants must submit consent to collection and use
of personal information.
6. Application Period
February 6 (Mon.), 2023 – March 15 (Wen.), 2023 (18:00 KST)
7. Review and Decisions
Reviews, Funding decisions, Signing agreements: No later than March 31, 2023
(Schedule may change depending on circumstances)
ㅇ All materials and documents submitted cannot be returned.
ㅇ Forged, false and fraudulent documents will not be considered for review.
ㅇ All supporting documents should be attached to the proposal.
ㅇ IFES may contact the applicant/institute to request additional documents during the application review.
ㅇ IFES may contact the applicant/institute to request a revision of the submitted research proposal.
ㅇ Proposals and all supporting documents submitted will be treated confidentially.
ㅇ When issuing statements resulting from activities (e.g. publications, presentations, report, etc.) supported by this grant funding, the grant recipient must include an acknowledgement of IFES-MOU assistance.
9. Contact Information
For inquiries, please contact us:
Telephone. +82 (0)2 3700 0771
North Korea·Unification Academic and Policy Research (International)
Institute for Far Eastern Studies of Kyungnam University